Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Memo Four...

            So I think that I am abandoning grammar in post secondary education and refocusing on grammar instruction at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. After speaking with some professors it is clear that there is an expectation that students are prepared with all the knowledge that they need in order to be a successful writer. So that brings me to wonder where the teaching of grammar happens. Although all my sources say " yes it is important to teach grammar" it is more the instruction of it that matters more.I have found that some teachers focus more the content of the writing while others focus on the mechanics. I spoke to one seventh grade teacher who believes that grammar is an important process of writing and gives mini lessons everyday, the children seem to enjoy it, I'm sure if it was a full class period there might be some disdain for it.Another seventh grade teacher that I spoke with does not focus on it at all. So who benefits and who loses out, the students that receive grammar instruction or those who do not. I am at a stand still. I'm hoping more field research will provide more insight to this matter.

           

1 comment:

  1. I think that it totally makes sense to focus on elementary, middle and high school grammar rather than trying to include college as well. Your topic is very broad (even without college) and I hope that you are finding resources for all the levels that you are looking for. It might be helpful to focus on just one level of education (middle OR elementary) just to have a more focused topic, but I think that you are on to something! I really love your question "where does grammar happen?" because really..... where does it happen? I feel like many teachers have an assumption that students know everything about grammar by a certain grade or age, but that only makes a vicious circle where no one actually teaches the students the grammar that they need.

    ReplyDelete